Back to the Wiki Welcome page.
Localization - How to translate Ancestris
You want to help us to improve or review the translation we have begun in your language (actually we have ressources files for 'Deutsch', 'Dutch', 'English', 'Español', 'Italiano', 'Norsk', 'Polski', 'Portuguès', 'Suomi', 'Svenska').
Or you want us to add another language not yet supported by Ancestris (danish, russian, etc)?
Question: If you help us, do you have to review the whole translation? No, absolutely not. If you want to translate/review just a few sentences, words, etc.. it's OK, and we will be very happy to add your contribution to Ancestris and your work will be available for everybody in the next release.
How to do it?|
Easy. Just download 1 file:
- Trancestris (the program to use to translate everything),
(Once Trancestris downloaded and installed, Trancestris will download ONE and only one zip file, the languages file (Bundles package) named "Ancestris_Bundles.zip". (If you want to download it manually, see below))
I - Which program to use: Trancestris
Trancestris is an editor made by one of the developers named Lemovice (Dominique). It is fully functional. Trancestris is updated from time to time. Check the version date below.
Just download it. There are five versions :
- One for windows, Trancestris for Windows
- One for Linux Trancestris for Linux
- One for Mac OS Trancestris for Mac OS
- One .deb package Trancestris for Ubuntu
- One .rpm package Trancestris for Fedora, Redhat, Mandriva, rpm based distribution
- One as a zip archive Trancestris.zip
(updated on: 2012/09/23)
Important: Please update always to the latest version.
How do I use Trancestris?
Here is the process to begin with Trancestris
A - The first time you run Trancestris
What do we see here ? These are the steps from the installation of Trancestris to your first translation sent to the Ancestris Team.
Steps a to f are only for the first time you install and start Trancestris.
a - You have to download Trancestris (see above the appropriate version you need (Windows, Linux, ...). Once downloaded, just install it.
c - Don't change the first line, it's the repository of the bundles file. The second one is where you want the downloaded file "Ancestris_Bundles.zip" has to be saved on your computer. Default is your home directory. Change it for whatever you want but don't change the name of the file "Ancestris_Bundles.zip", change just the path if you want. The last line is certainly, one of the most important ones. You want to translate from which language, to which language. Here, I have Translate from English To English. Of course, I don't want to do so, so, I'm gonna change the second parameter and will choose for example Norwegian. I'm gonna have: "Translate from English To Norwegian". Click on "OK".
d - A new window pops up, it's the "Tip of the Day". Read it and click on "close".
But in the background, Trancestris has downloaded the Ancestris_Bundles.zip file. Once downloaded a window appears that will give you the result of the process, it should be "The file has been downloaded". Click on "OK".
e - New step, very important: you have to configure the settings to send your translation. So a message pops up which says: "Information - You must configure the extension before sending the translated bundle to the Ancestris Team. Go to Tools - Options -> Send Translation Tab". Click on "OK".
This will open the appropriate config menu window.
You have to indicate:
* Your Name and First Name.
* Your email address.
* The SMTP outgoing server address (eg. for the ISP Free, it's "smtp.free.fr", for Gmail, it's "gmail.smtp.com").
* The connection encryption type (eg. for free it's None, for Gmail it's SSL), the SMTP port will change according to the encryption type (usually 25 for None, 587 for TLS and 465 for SSL), however if your provider requests a specific port number, fill the SMTP port field with the one requested.
* Does the server need an authentification? if so (for Gmail for example, it requires an authentification), fullfill the two fields with the appropriate information.
f - Click on "OK" to save your changes.
g - Great, we are ready to begin to translate :-)
On the left side you will find the tree directories available in that archive Ancestris_Bundles.zip.
There are three main directories : AncestrisCore, AncestrisExtensions and Tools. AncestrisCore is the program itself. AncestrisFrExtensions are all plugins available for Ancestris. Tools is actually, only the program Trancestris, the one you use to translate.
You can navigate thru those directories, sub-directories. Select one of the main directories (eg. AncestrisCore), and expand it. Again, you will find the main subdirectories. Choose one, and expand it. You have to go to the last subdirectory of the subdirectory you choose (it's when there is no more possibility to expand it), click on it.
When a subdirectory is colored red, it means there is something that needs to be translated. If it's blue, nothing need to be done (but it's a good idea to check though). If there is something that could be translated, you will see on the right side, the text to translate.
* You have to know that the best fullfilled Bundle is always the english one (named "Bundle.properties"). So it's always better to translate from "English", to something else, instead of from "Italian to ...." or from "French to ....". Even if you translate from English to something else, you could find some sentences not already translated into english; it could be a good idea to translate them first (to do so, translate from English to English).
* You will see on the main screen (on the right side) that some sentences are colored. Some are red, some are black, some are blue. The red ones are not yet translated. The black and blue ones are already translated. Click on a red one, and begin your translation in the lower part of the editor. Your translation must be written in it. Once the sentence(s) is(are) translated, click on the "OK" button. Important: Don't hit Return at the end of the last line, because this would add a carriage return to the bundle.
* From time to time, check even the black and blue ones. Some needs to be updated.
* The difference between the black ones and the blue ones is that the blue ones are sentences which have been translated, but they have the same wording in both language. Example, in english we can have "Table", and in french, we have the same word "Table".
* You have to respect and rewrite the different sign codes, the html codes, etc, some sentences can contain.
* Once you send a translation to François, please wait for his feedback before going further in your translation. When you send a translation to François, he will commit your work to the source code repository and will generate a new version of Ancestris, Trancestris, and the bundles package. It means that the new time you will fire up Trancestris you will have to download a new Ancestris_Bundles.zip file (Trancestris will do that for you automatically) and in it, your previous work will be included already.
Once you want to stop to translate, save your work. But a better idea is to send your work, even if it's not completed, to the Ancestris Team.
- Click on the little icon which represents a letter with a green mark. This will open a window and will attach automatically your work (the translation you've just made) to the message Trancestris is about to send to our Team. If you want to add comments to the mail, go ahead, and give us some feedback.
If you can't send it, it means you didn't fullfill the right information to the "Send Translation" tab in the config menu, or you are behind a proxy and something doesn't work. But your work is not lost. In the same directory where the bundles file has been downloaded, there is a new file created with your work, named "Ancestris_Bundles_xx.zip" (xx is the international code for the language you decided to translate to, eg. "it" for italian - Ancestris_Bundles_it.zip). Attach that file to a mail and send it to the Ancestris Team (send it to Francois, member of the development team (Email : francois AT ancestris DOT org so you replace the AT with a "@", and the DOT with a dot so ".").
- If you don't have finish your work, and you don't want to send it to the development team. You have to click on the icon which represents a floppy disk to save your work. Or from the pull down menu, do "File" - "Save the whole ressources file". This will save the whole file "Ancestris_Bundles.zip", and of course with it, your work.
Don't forget to tell François which translation you did (from which language to which language).
If you want to do some tests before to translate lots of sentences, translate just 5 or 10 words and send your translation to François. (see above the email to use). Wait for his comments before going further. He will validate your work, and you will be sure that the translations you will do later, will be ok.
It's always a good idea to send your work from time to time.
B - You sent your first translation. What to do next?
You sent your first translation to the Ancestris Team. All you have to do then is ..... wait. ;-)
You have to wait until you receive a mail from someone from the Ancestris Team saying that everything has been updated, and that you can go on with your translation work.
When you sent a translation, someone from the Team receive it, and has to update Ancestris with it. Once done, he has to rebuild a new package of Ancestris and make it available for users. Then, he has to rebuild a new bundle package which will include all the new sentences you translated. Once that new package is made, he has to upload it to our server, to make it available to people like you who help to translate the program.
So it's important for you to wait for the mail from our Team. Once that mail received, restart Trancestris and Trancestris will ask you to check whether or not a new file of sentences is available.
Of course, say "Yes".
If a new bundles package is available, you will see the following screen. Again, click on "Yes", to download the new package.
It's important for you to continue with your work on that new package, because, if you use the old one, it's possible that your work will be lost.
II - The Languages file (The bundles package)
A language file is named "Bundle". The bundles are all gathered into one zip file. In this file, all the directories, and sub directories must be preserved. If you look in each directory with an archiver tool, you could see many Bundle files. Usually, they are named that way : "Bundle_xx.properties" (or Bundle.properties for the english one), xx is the international code for the country except for the english one which is the default bundle as I said; so we have:
- "de" for german (so Bundle_de.properties)
- "en" for english (so Bundle.properties)
- "es" for spanish (so Bundle_es.properties)
- "fr" for french (so Bundle_fr.properties)
- "it" for italian (so Bundle_it.properties)
- "nl" for dutch (so Bundle_nl.properties)
- "no" for norwegian (so Bundle_no.properties)
- "pl" for polish (so Bundle_pl.properties)
The actual tool does read inside the zip file, so you don't have to unzip the archive. Use it as it is.
To download the latest update of that file, just use Trancestris (see above). Of course, the file can be downloaded using the link below.
Ancestris_Bundles.zip (updated each time a change has been made)
If you want to be sure of what you're doing, if you translate one item, you can send the specific zip file "Ancestris_Bundles_xx.zip" once saved, to François (see below for his Email). If you want us to support a new language and add the appropriate file(s), feel free to do so.
Please send a mail to francoisATancestrisDOTorg (change the AT by @ and the DOT by a dot .). Once the file added to the distribution, it will have to be translated though.
III - The Contributors
Those are the persons who translated, reviewed some of the sentences, words used into Ancestris. We need you.
Languages Contributors Maintainers Translation advancement * Czech Martin Široký ... 26% * Danish ... ... 11% * Dutch Jean-François Bouquelle ... 38% * English ... ... 100% * Finnish Antti Riipi ... 58% * French ... ... 98% * German ... ... 28% * Greek Dimitrios Bletsas ... 85% * Italian Paolo Odone,
... 86% * Norwegian CartoonistHenning,
... 24% * Polish ... ... 26% * Portuguese Frederico Muñoz,
Pedro Albuquerque 100% * ... ... * Spanish Yannick Voyeaud ... 92% * Swedish Dag Issjö ... 89% * ... ...
N.B. The percentage above is given for the latest beta release of Ancestris.
Thank you to all of you.
- Trancestris_start_step1.png (14.4 KB) - added by fm 2 years ago.
- Trancestris_start_step3.png (28.5 KB) - added by fm 2 years ago.
- Trancestris_start_step4.png (7.5 KB) - added by fm 2 years ago.
- Trancestris_start_step2.png (13.6 KB) - added by fm 2 years ago.
- Trancestris_start_step4a.png (16.9 KB) - added by fm 2 years ago.
- Trancestris_run_step1.png (29.2 KB) - added by fm 2 years ago.
- Trancestris_start_step5.png (16.3 KB) - added by fm 13 months ago.
- Trancestris_start_step6.png (14.9 KB) - added by fm 13 months ago.